What are likely formulas for the following substances?
Identify the group of the central element to predict the number of covalent bonds the element can form.
(a) Germanium (Group 4A) has four electrons in its valence shell and forms four bonds to achieve the noble-gas configuration of neon. A likely formula is GeCl4.
Element Group Likely Formula
(b) Al 3A AlH3
(c) C 4A CH2Cl2
(d) Si 4A SiF4
(e) N 5A CH3NH2
These also might be your questions
- How many electrons does each element has in its outermost electron-shell?
- Why can’t an organic molecule have the formula C2H7?
- Draw a line-bond structure for propane, Predict the value of each bond angle, and indicate the overall shape of the molecule.
- Why organic compounds show polarity?
- Write line-bond structures for the following substances, showing all nonbonding electrons
- Molecule of chloroform, using solid, wedged, and dashed lines to show its tetrahedral geometry.
- ORGANIC CHEMISTRY (MCMURRY 7TH) Ch1 P 1.1
- What is inductive effect?
- What happens when ethanol mixed to water?
- What causes the differences in the Melting and Boiling Points of these molecules? Water (H2O), Ammonia (NH3), Hydrogen Fluoride (HF), Methane (CH4) and Neon (Ne)
- Some examples of chemical properties
- Convert the following representation of ethane,into a conventional drawing that uses solid, wedged, and dashed lines to indicate tetrahedral geometry around each carbon
- Why aqueous aminoethane is a basic solution?
- Chapter 1, Problem 1.13 General Chemistry- 7th Edition, Raymond Chang
- Some info about S.I. units